98.340 - Attorneys employed, when, how.

Steven Groce, Attorney Advertisement

In any suit or action at law or in equity brought by or against the city except in prosecutions for violations of municipal ordinances, the city council may, by resolution, employ an attorney or attorneys, and pay him or them a reasonable fee therefor; provided, that any city may, by ordinance, provide for the office of city counselor and his duties and compensation.Such city counselor, when so provided for, shall represent the city in all other cases in all courts of record in this state; shall draft all ordinances and contracts and all legal forms of every kind, and give legal advice to the council and other officers of the city, and perform such other duties as shall be prescribed by ordinance or shall be ordered by the council or the mayor.In any city where there is a city counselor, the duties of the city attorney shall be such as may be prescribed by ordinance.

(RSMo 1939 § 6924, A. 1949 H.B. 2045, A.L. 1978 H.B. 1634)

Prior revisions: 1929 § 6778; 1919 § 8265; 1909 § 9202

Effective 1-02-79